The nomination period for 2018 Millennium Technology Prize, given by Technology Academy of Finland, has opened on April 3, 2017. The Call for nominations can be found here: http://taf.fi/en/millennium-technology-prize/call-for-nominations/. Everyone can nominate candidates.
The nomination instructions, as copied from the page are:
- The nomination should include a Nomination Letter with a concise description of the cited innovation and the underlying technology, an assessment of the present and future impact of the innovation, as well as identification of the role of each nominee in the innovation process.
- A concise separate CV must be supplied for each nominee.
- All nomination material must be presented in English.
- Please note that self-nomination is not allowed.
The general principles of the Millennium Technology Prize, as copied from the page, are:
I think that atomic layer deposition (ALD) easily fulfills all the listed general principles.
With the materials produced in VPHA, I think that we have a solid foundation to proceed with the nomination.
I am ready to nominate Tuomo Suntola as a candidate, as the sole living inventor of ALD. As a CV is required, the nomination is best done in collaboration with the candidate; I can contact Suntola for this. If you would like to join to prepare and sign the nomination with me, please contact me at my Aalto University address, which you find e.g. from my Aalto people profile page: https://people.aalto.fi/en/riikka_puurunen.
ALD History Publications collected in http://vph-ald.com/ALD-history-publications.html. Three journal articles resulting from VPHA:
- Review article: “Recommended reading list of early publications on atomic layer deposition—Outcome of the “Virtual Project on the History of ALD””, Esko Ahvenniemi, Andrew R. Akbashev, Saima Ali, Mikhael Bechelany, Maria Berdova, Stefan Boyadjiev, David C. Cameron, Rong Chen, Mikhail Chubarov, Veronique Cremers, Anjana Devi, Viktor Drozd, Liliya Elnikova, Gloria Gottardi, Kestutis Grigoras, Dennis M. Hausmann, Cheol Seong Hwang, Shih-Hui Jen, Tanja Kallio, Jaana Kanervo, Ivan Khmelnitskiy, Do Han Kim, Lev Klibanov, Yury Koshtyal, A. Outi I. Krause, Jakob Kuhs, Irina Kärkkänen, Marja-Leena Kääriäinen, Tommi Kääriäinen, Luca Lamagna, Adam A. Łapicki, Markku Leskelä, Harri Lipsanen, Jussi Lyytinen, Anatoly Malkov, Anatoly Malygin, Abdelkader Mennad, Christian Militzer, Jyrki Molarius, Małgorzata Norek, Çağla Özgit-Akgün, Mikhail Panov, Henrik Pedersen, Fabien Piallat, Georgi Popov, Riikka L. Puurunen, Geert Rampelberg, Robin H. A. Ras, Erwan Rauwel, Fred Roozeboom, Timo Sajavaara, Hossein Salami, Hele Savin, Nathanaelle Schneider, Thomas E. Seidel, Jonas Sundqvist, Dmitry B. Suyatin, Tobias Törndahl, J. Ruud van Ommen, Claudia Wiemer, Oili M. E. Ylivaara, Oksana Yurkevich, Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A 35 (2017) 010801 (13 pages). http://dx.doi.org/10.1116/1.4971389. Open access.
- Essay by A. A. Malygin, V. E. Drozd, A. A. Malkov, V. M. Smirnov, "From V. B. Aleskovskii’s "Framework" Hypothesis to the Method of Molecular Layering/Atomic Layer Deposition", Chemical Vapor Deposition 21 (2015) 216-240. doi: 10.1002/cvde.201502013
- Essay by R. L. Puurunen, "A short history of Atomic Layer Deposition: Tuomo Suntola's Atomic Layer Epitaxy", Chemical Vapor Deposition 20 (2014) 332-344, doi: 10.1002/cvde.201402012. Open Access. Full essay.
- 9.4.2017: References section and ALD History Publication links added.
Virtual Project on the History of ALD (VPHA) - in atmosphere of Openness, Respect, and Trust